At Mundipharma, we are committed to developing and providing innovative therapeutic solutions that make a true impact on improving the health and quality of life of people everywhere.
Our ophthalmology portfolio consists of a range of well-known products that cover the primary treatment methods for patients with open-angle glaucoma, the most predominant type of glaucoma in the world1.
What is glaucoma?2
Glaucoma refers to a group of disorders that leads to damage of the optic nerve. Glaucoma is often associated with increased eye pressure, although it may occur with normal eye pressure. It is a slow progressive disease leading to irreversible loss of vision and can result in blindness. If diagnosed and treated early, blindness is preventable.
Worldwide about 66 million people are affected with glaucoma. 10% of these people become blind due to glaucoma. In South Africa, it is estimated that about 200,000 people are affected.
Who is at risk for glaucoma?3
Some people have a higher than normal risk of getting glaucoma. This includes people who:
- are over age 40
- have family members with glaucoma
- are of African, Hispanic or Asian heritage
- have high eye pressure
- are farsighted or nearsighted
- have had an eye injury
- use long-term steroid medications
- have corneas that are thin in the center
- have thinning of the optic nerve
- have diabetes, migraines, high blood pressure, poor blood circulation or other health problems affecting the whole body
Glaucoma damage is permanent—it cannot be reversed. But medicine and surgery can help to stop further damage.